Welcome!

Hello everyone to this creative blogspot of Miss Judy Lomax.


Here you will be able to access my work as an aspiring writer (short stories/stageplays/screenplays/non-fiction articles including my book reviews)...I hope you will like what you read and leave me a message and/or (constructive) critique.


Have fun now...


Friday, January 20, 2012

Wake - by Lisa McMann

The first book that I chose for this New Years Project was Lisa McManns book Wake.

I will copy a brief summary from the back of the book:
For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.
She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.
Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant....

What made me interested in this book is its theme about dreams - and in this case Janie can attend the dreams of others.
Also I chose a young adult writer because I need to get into a good habit of reading regularly again, and those books are easily written.
I did love Lisa's way of drawing you into the character from the first page on and having a great descriptive language, yet she gets to the point really fast and sometimes telling less adds to the already existing suspense factor.
I loved it and it was an easy read. A good start for me.

Now here are a few more details I would like to add (just to prove that I did read it and know the story with its characters):
1. I enjoyed the starting relationship with Janie and Cabel (who is helping her; even though she appears in his dreams too, since he is in love with her), at the end we also find out for whom he is working for...
2. Mrs. Stubin (an old lady at the retirement home where Janie works) has a deep secret that will be revealed to Janie and so she has a lot more help to offer than Janie thinks at first...
3. Attending someone else`s dream does have its benefits too (so Janie knows a few secrets about her classmates - who dose off every once in a while - and they have no idea about that)...

But being a dream catcher does have consequences too, and although Mrs. Stubin does help Janie, she ultimately knows what Fate awaits for her...

No comments:

Post a Comment